Wicker Chair


Nilda Hall was a round, aproned lady with pretty tie heels. She lived with her husband Edgar next door to me when I was 5. She had a television set with a small round screen and a piano that we were always allowed to play when we came calling. The sun shone pretty in her sitting room and we were careful to sit nicely on her divan or crosslegged on the floor. Her house was special, with a dining room, and turning stairway that led to a second floor! Her kitchen had a door that was always closed and Mr. Hall had his own chair!
Outside, her yard was magical with flowers, and lattice and a drying yard. I dreamed under her 100 year old maple tree and hugged it! I can still feel the bark.... my little fingers caressing the hollows and finding ants between the furoughs......

Today I reflect and remember my five year old mind taking all of that in. I knew it was special. We lived in an apartment with one door and a few rooms. The closest thing we had to a garden was an apple tree and wooden swing. Being at Mrs. Hall's was like a fairy tale. I loved the feel of her oriental carpets under my knees, and the lace curtains in the windows. Her porch was welcoming and had the best fluffy cushions. She even had some fun flowers that we would pop called Japanese Lanterns. She didn't like us doing that, but for being five it was irresistable, until I had to go over by myself to apologize for snapping them. She just smiled with such warmth.
Even though I do not "dress" for the day, I am almost that woman. Wouldn't it be fun to dress like that again. To make each day special and neat. Time was slower then. Softer. Kinder. Holier. As I look around my home it makes me laugh to see where I am. Although I have had many beautiful homes during my married life, this is my favorite. I have only lived here ten years but it seems like forever.
This house was in my soul as soon as I walked in and viewed it that first day. No one could understand why I would want it. It was almost 100 years old and needed so much work. I would not hear any of their comments and moved into it 30 days later. Today, as I sit at my desk with not a sound but the tapping of my computer keys I am bathed in the sunlight that hit Mrs. Hall's telephone table. A slight breeze billowing my lace curtains in soft furls. An oriental rug is comforting below my bare feet, and I can just catch a glimpse of the turning stairway that leads upstairs. I think I will sit on my porch......
dreams of a five year old under a wise old maple tree do come true..........
Pin It Now!

5 comments:

Dave said...

Absolutely magical!

In God We Trust

Dave

Shelia said...

My next door neighbor was Mrs. Miller. I always wondered what pretty things were at the top of the stairs. She always had flowers on the tables and I would get to help her string beans and things. Thank you for the most pleasant memories.

Anonymous said...

i almost cried it was so beautiful.


clearly this is katie NOT mike :)

JudyQ said...

I loved reading about your childhood and growing up next to the beautiful home that you now own. I feel the same with my home, I have always loved it and I have a beautiful backyard full of flowers and a deck where I can sit in my swing with my two puppies, and watch the birds of all colors and squirrels, and just enjoy the peace and quiet of the day. I am so happy here too, we both have a good life!!

JudyQ

Carmen said...

Oh my! If all of your posts are this wonderful, I'm going to love it here!
Carmen
http://heavenleiislandsofpeace.blogspot.com/