The Box


Quiet fills the room and the cabinet beckons me again to be opened. Fingers fiddle with the latch because reverence has filled the heart. Inside the memories of a lifetime are carefully stored....

Each milestone in life holds a significance that should be stored away to be remembered on quiet days. The items may be in drawers or folders, or chests, or boxes but they are kept in special places different from all other places. Sort of like the heart of your life. Protected in a cage.
He was about 17 and innocent in spirit. Perfect in our eyes and respected in the eyes of strangers. He ALWAYS did the right thing. It was early morning that July day when he headed to work just before dawn. I heard the car door slam closed and the tires crunch up the stone driveway. I drifted back to sleep and was wakened with the sound of a screeching noise and waited....and then a thump. We sprang up out of bed barely touching the floor to get dressed and the phone rang...... "mom, dad the car is wrecked." Oh the sweet sound of his voice....
We had to go to court later that month for he was sited for reckless driving...... after all what was a 17 year old doing out so late/so early in the morning? No thought of his address being 1500 feet away or the wet grass clippings in the road. The police officer didn't believe he was a nice boy heading out to work.
The decision came down guilty and he was fined. My heart sank for now my innocent boy learned about corruption and lies.

I didn't realize then, because I too am naive, that lessons like that prepare a person for life, and that there would be a lot more unjust consequences in his life to come.

This week he was dealt another blow in poor judgement as he stood on stage on national TV and was judged for his work.

"TOO NICE" ....to finish first in CupCake Wars ....... too nice? that was the comment!

Well, I say BRAVO!!! I am proud that he is nice! That is who I raised and love and by golly I am proud that he is NICE!!!!!!

The newspaper articles and video tapes will all find their rest in the box that holds the tangible artifacts of the memories of his life, right along side the hood ornament of a car that saved it! His legacy to his children and grandchildren will be...... he was nice!


see more here
Pin It Now!

6 comments:

Patti J said...

Oh, I so agree with you! Above all, we tried to raise our children to be 'nice'. You did a fine job and I give you a big BRAVO too! Hugs, dear friend!

Anonymous said...

Donna, what a beautifully written story..It's funny but I have the same opinion of my Son. Never in his entire life has he ever done anything but the right thing a trait that as a Father I respect and admire and so along with the legacy of being nice, Michael will as well leave a legacy of honesty and ethics hard to find in todays world. I am so proud to say to all that will listen that I am Michaels Father and that will be my legacy.. Nice job Donna, I think we did a good job raising our Son.....

Dave said...

Once again you found the perfect words to express your love, respect, admiration, and did I mention love? M's an awesome man, and I too am very proud of him and the job you and S did raising him. I'm blessed to be a part of this family, for sure. Love you guys!

Shelia said...

And what a legacy that is. This is a heart retching story. Why so many injustices? But because you raised him "too be to nice" He is also your legacy. And what a wonderful legacy that is.

Anonymous said...

Oh man I remember that morning too! I had a weird feeling something was wrong. I'll never forget visiting Betty and seeing the damage.

The worst part was that, in reality, he must have hit the gas pedal by mistake when he started slipping and twisting on the clippings. So it looked like he was speeding when he wasn't. At least we all knew the truth... back then he drove like an old man. We'll have to ask Katie if that is still true!

-Danielle

Anonymous said...

We watched cupcake wars and were thrilled each time Cupcake Charlie's prevailed. We were shocked in the end that the other "guys" won. It must have been the guitar, but it sure wasn't the cupcakes! Debbie, Peter, Rob, and Niki...
PS. Mike, you are amazingly photogenic and very personable on TV. You need to get your face out there more!!!! Penny, you are very funny, and also so sincere.
WHAT A TEAM!