Play Time no more......

It was hot so mom let the three of us play in a bucket of water in the backyard. Now it wasn't a bucket so much as it was a dish pan, but on that hot summer's day it became solice from the muggies. Transforming it into a doll bath our hands got wet along with the front of our shorts. Then it became our bath tub where we would take turns with just a little bickering to get as much of ourselves as humanly possible into the pool of water! Our feet were all that could embibe. After about 15 minutes we ended up, or should I say because I am the oldest and therefore that made ME "boss", I ended up pulling the bucket from out beneath the feet of number 3. In a rush to relief I dumped it all upon MY head and I was cool! Of course crying and tattling ensued and the day abruptly ended with a nap!

I remember all sorts of games and play times like that. As I look at what is around my home for little ones to dream in it makes me sad to know with all the structured activities that they have, and the Wii and computers where does the imagination get fed. I am sure these vessels would make good play things! Don't you?
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Dave said...

:)

Shelia said...

Oh Donna, how would we survive without our memories. We also played outside with just dishpans. I couldn't understand why she wouldn't let us use the big wash tub. I guess I know now, so I could have these memories. I love your stories.

Cape Cod Rambling Rose said...

I just love when the electricity goes out and my kids have to "make do" without their electronics... they always do have the best time with each other that way!

SherryBee said...

oh my gosh!
Times past for sure! I remember we got through the hot Iowa summers with happy afternoons in the galvanized water tubs!
I just saw one at a craft/antique show Tuesday...I SO need to go get it...I think it should be HERE with ME, to tell the story of my youth to some yet unknown grandchild....