Happy Eightieth Birthday, MOM!


3 generations of grauation portraits
mom, me , and my daughter
It was hot and humid and I had been in the house all day watching the kids, my brothers and sisters that is. Dad was at work and mom was working too, and she would not be home until around 3:00. Saturdays were always better than the week days because mom would be home at 3:00 instead of going into work at 3:00. I remember how lonely it seemed when she would leave each late afternoon for her job at Analog Devices. Dad was great, but he never really had an art for cooking like mom did so, we often had canned sardines and boiled potatoes for supper. Not quite the pot roasts, and meatloaf with mashed potatoes that mom could make! PLUS, dads in the 60's weren't as hands on as they are now so, things seemed awkward when mom wasn't around. The tempo wasn't the same and the house was missing something. I know things were tough to make ends meet in those days, and therefore mom decided to help out by working nights. That way her children always had a parent guiding them.

But, saturdays were different.

On saturdays we would clean the house, and as you remember because I was the oldest, I would boss everyone into doing the chores. Starting with the stripping of beds and making them up again fresh with sheets right from the clothes line we continued with polishing the furniture. Then we would vacuum and wash floors, and clean the kitchen and bathroom. This particular Saturday was no different except I wanted everything to shine, and it did!

Then I made the prettiest cake a 14 year old of the 60's could make, and decorated it just so, and surrounded it with cards and a present and displayed it nicely arrayed on the kitchen table, and waited.

It was my mother's birthday and I rarely saw her being treated special so, I wanted to make her feel special.
I continued to celebrate her birthday each year unitl she passed away in 1993,
and even now I go to a special restraunt, one that isn't a chain, one that sometimes looks out onto the ocean and one where there is a corner table for two.
I sit alone and think of all the birthdays and lunches my mom and I shared.
Today I am going to do it again, to sit and talk.
I don't think there will ever be a birthday of hers that I won't be sharing with her.
As each year passes it becomes more and more poignant at how young she was when she left us for good. I am still lonesome for her after 17 years. She will be younger than I will be soon, and I will become the old woman speaking to the younger mature woman one day. But I will always feel like her little girl. I hope she feels special now.
HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM
I LOVE YOU
Pin It Now!

8 comments:

Dave said...

How the heck do you expect us to read this one withour tearing up? "...and even now I go to a special restraunt, one that isn't a chain, one that sometimes looks out onto the ocean and one where there is a corner table for two. I sit alone and think of all the birthdays and lunches my mom and I shared. Today I am going to do it again, to sit and talk."

Thanks for sharing, love you...

Creative Monkey Designs said...

Wonderful remembering Donna. Your mom is thrilled an sits at the table for two by the ocean with you.

Your mom and I share a birthday........hmmm, was she the one guiding me to choose you as my SU rep? I wonder...............

Ingrid Amidon said...

How absolutely beautiful. You have such a way with words that is truly amazing. My mom just turned 80 this year and I will think of you and your mom the next time she and I go out for one of our special dinners together. Bless your heart and I hope you have many more birthdays with your own daughter.

Shelia said...

Bittersweet.

VIV SAWYER said...

Such meaningful words Donna. You made me cry..I know just how you feel...

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing mom. This is a favorite story. I love how you share these stories to live on for me and my children. Love you

Amelia said...

You are right, I did enjoy it! I am also the oldest in my family and now I'm bossing my kids instead of my sisters.

And I have to say the resemblance in those three pictures is AMAZING!!!

Anonymous said...

Donna,

Thanks for sending me this link. Wow, can you paint a picture. I can completely see you in that restaurant pondering and reminiscing.

Thank you so much for putting your most personal and intimate thoughts here for us to enjoy. Very giving!

Thanks,

I love you.

Dan

PS, I think about Mom everytime I sell a Grammy's carrot cake. About 48 times a day!