The subtleties that belie a photograph

Sometimes I look at pictures from long ago and think about my life then and what I was doing and where I was going and how I felt. It has always amazed me at how different those pictures from 30, 20 or even 5 years ago were and where my heart and mind was then and where my heart and mind are today. When I decorated in the beginning I see a young girl with no decorating ability who only knew to copy what she had been brought up with, I saw it grow in a style that was meant to compete with young women she associated with, then it grew larger yet to bring a sense of quiet self and new found freedom from competition. A signature appeared that was all mine, and I was finally comfortable in it for a good 12 years. I believe that happens to all of us and I believe that it is a natural occurrence, but today something weirder happened. I took a picture of my newly decorated dining room and for the first time in my decorating attempts, I feel like I do not belong. It looks ethereal to me for some reason and although I like it in real life it feels foreign. It is almost unsettling to me. I think it is because so many times in my life I think of things, and those things happen. Even when I don't tell anyone. Now, I am feeling a little uncomfortable with this new room and the thoughts I am having about this picture is something I'd rather not be thinking. So, don't say I didn't tell you so when things.........do happen and the message in this room is revealed!
Pin It Now!

6 comments:

Hoping the Blind Will See said...

Now this one is a bit cryptic! lol Definitely has a "hallowed eve's" feel to it...

Megan said...

Auntie, I understand what you mean. No one ever listens, but I think things and then...they happen. For a long time I worried it was me that was making these things happen! Now I realize I just know about them before hand. Sometimes I like the knowledge, and a lot of the times I don't.

Butternutsage said...

Megan, most often I do not like the knowledge but almost always I heed the knowledge! It has been happening to me since I was 12. More often in tha past few years. Thanks for your comment cannot wait for weddign bells! Woooohooo just a few more days!

Shelia said...

Donna, heed the knowledge. I do not always share, because I don't want to worry other people. But in the long run, I should have helped people prepare.

Dan said...

Hi Donna,

I just wanted to say again that I love your Back Door blog. I thoroughly enjoy your style of writing. You have quite the knack for short story telling. Bravo! and Thanks!!

Dan

Lizzie said...

What a lovely blog, following now. Came by from New England bloggers this morning to say hi.