First Snow.....

The first snow and the hustle and bustle of the week before Christmas really came into play as I watched my mother at the kitchen table years and years ago. The Rock Maple top had worn to a warm raw wood by the time I was a young teen, it had seen so many meals, and cups of tea, and homework, and babies fresh from the hospital having sponge baths on fluffy white towels in the sunshine, and cooking too! Sometimes kneading dough, and rolling cookies was the order of the day, but today it was ready for wrapping. Three chairs were piled high with games, and mittens, and perfume and wrapping paper and bows and scotch tape and scissors were waiting to be used. For me I loved the precision of the chore. I loved hearing the paper being rolled out and the scissors gliding without a snag along the roll to make a perfect cut. That shwirsh sound still puts a smile on my face, and my memory goes back to that time each time I cut a piece of paper for my own gifts. I was always the kind of person who would look at the faces of others as they worked, because I knew that a raised eyebrow, or clenched jaw line meant more was going on, and by concentrating on the person's demeanor doing the task it made the memory even stronger.
Memories are what makes this season so special. Whether we have lost someone who will never wrap another present, or we have lost ourselves, memories are the things that can bring us to a place where we can feel.
Timing. We can never anticipate what will happen, but sometimes God makes His timing the ultimate surprise. I believe that things happen for a reason and that the answers will be revealed at some point. It may not be in a day or a week, it may take 35 years or a lifetime or may be revealed in eternity, but when they are revealed the sweetness will be like milk and honey.
Here's an example of a memory I had, that just came to life with perfect timing. Years ago a little cardboard snow covered church was thrown away. It has been gone for a very long time, but the memory of it remained and was made sweeter than anything I could have ever conjured up in my own mind this year, when Nienie sent me her own little white snow covered church this season. There are no words to describe the reality of what had to happen for that moment to occur. It could not have been as sweet, had it happened earlier, or in a different way. How was it that I would know of Nienie from a blog post? That would not have been possible even 15 years ago. How could it be that she would be so loved because of her own tragedy? How could it be that out of thousands of bloggers she would chat with me, how would it be that she had the very same snow covered church even though she is only 27 that I had when I was 5? The timing is just perfect. It was all perfect even when it was tragic. That is what I mean about God's timing, He knew the plan that we could not see. He knew it was perfect.
My wish for you this season is to enjoy your Christmas traditions, and make wonderful memories because we do not know where they will end! They will however be perfect.
Pin It Now!

5 comments:

Hoping the Blind Will See said...

Such a wonderful person to be related to! :)

Merry Christmas to you and S. and the kids. Enjoy Christmas Eve, we'll be there in spirit - but a bit warmer (hopefully) in reality.

Love you all...

Stephanie Aurora Clark Nielson said...

I was so honored to share it with you-

Kasey said...

Donna, Snow! just imagne it. Living in tropical north Queensland Australia it never snows! I was well into my 40s before I even saw snow for real. I hope you enjoy your White Christmas with your family and friends. My family and I will be locked up in air conditioning due to the heat outside! Thanks for stopping by my blog to leave your comment Donna. Your words moved me to leave that original comment, its such a nice feeling when you touch someone with your words, words of kindness don't cost anything except the right attitued! Cheers, Kasey

I Say Tammaro, You Say Tomorrow said...

Auntie, I love reading your posts! You put it all into words so well!

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

I am always so intrigued when I read your posts. I wonder about the story that has prompted the post ... and sometimes leave feeling a little disatisfied ... because I want to know more! But ... then I meditate on what you have shared ... and realise that this is all you wanted to share! And ... I enjoy the moment over again! (does that make sense!) So ... thanks for the wonderful pictures that I have in my head ... because of the shared memories! And ... thanks for another insight into Donna! Hugs xxaxx
PS ... off to visit Nenie's blog ... if only I can work out which one might have a vision of this little church! Hugs xxx