Evelyn Saltzman

It always hits me harder than I anticipate. It catches me quite off guard. I am always sad in a soft and tender way...
Evie was Jewish, she and her husband Irving were the mother and father in law of my younger sister.
On Christmas Eve when we handed out the caroling books, compliments of John Hancock Insurance, Evie would sing all the carols no matter which one we chose, the loudest and with such joy. She would say, I love Christmas Carols! We would all laugh!
Mrs. Saltzman, as I always addressed her was a talker, but I never heard her say anything unkind, or sarcastic, and she enjoyed our family more than we did! She could talk my grandmother the queen of talk, under the table!
Evie, always watched over her husband. From what I could see they were best friends and they took care of each other.
Two years ago I noticed that Evie was getting more frail and she was using a cane at Christmas time. Then it became evident, that although she still had a big smile, she didn't talk as much to those sitting around her. I later found out that she had just been diagnosed with Alzheimer's.
This year, when we got together for our traditional Christmas, it was the first time Evie did not join us. Irving came alone without his partner. She was too ill and confused to come, so she stayed in the nursing home. Irving took a break from his many hours of sitting in her room to be at her side. He visited her everyday, day after day, hour after hour. There was no conversation from her, but his memories were enough for them both. He was her prince and she was his love and companion.
Last night Mrs. Evelyn Saltman passed quietly. It has made me sad, as it always does when a life of someone we have had in our lives leaves us. It saddens me not for what Evie has now, but it makes me sad for what we have lost. I believe that we are the only sad ones, in death. We are sad because we no longer have the presence of our loved ones, but that is temporary and I believe someday we will all be together again! I know Evie is just fine and we will see her again, and when we do, she will be the one leading us in song. So in tribute to a beautiful and cherished woman, I say.....

"Goodnight Mrs. Saltzman, Sleep In Heavenly Peace"
Pin It Now!

5 comments:

Diane said...

That was beautiful it made me cry Lance and his father and brother will think it was beautiful to Thank you Donna for caring so much I LOVE YOU Love Diane

I Say Tammaro, You Say Tomorrow said...

She was such a sweet woman. Always had a smile on her face. We'll remember her fondly :)

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

What a beautiful memory! I am glad you shared such wonderful moments with this special lady. I wish I could give you a real hug ... and let you know that I am sad for you! Hugs xxaxx

Anonymous said...

WE WILL MISS YOU. MAY YOU REST IN PEACE. QUEEN HELENE
EVELYN WAS A MEMBER OF THE RED HAT CHAPTER RED HOT MAMA'S OF STOUGHTON.
WE LOVED EVELYN'S SPIRIT AND HER TAKE CHARGE IN RUNNING SOME OF OUR RED HAT EVENTS. WE WERE SO SAD TO HEAR OF HER ILLNESS.
JUST LAST SUMMER WE WERE JOINED BY IRVING AND EVELYN AT THE ANNUAL VFW PICNIC. I AM SO GLAD WE WERE ABLE TO CHAT WITH HER ONCE MORE. WE WILL MISS THAT SMILE.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute! We can only wish that we live our lives in such a way that these qualities could be attributed to us...a kind, charitable woman of strength and love...beloved by Irving all her days. I only came to know her at Southeast Nursing Center where Irving was part of our Family Council. He is a devoted and loving husband and we all love him. She was blessed to have him in her life as he was to have her. Thank you for sharing so much about her wonderful personality! It means a lot to me and I know how much Irving appreciated it! Paula Correia