Listen in Quiet Solitude


Sunday morning quiet...Steve gets to sleep in and I am awake, my internal clock never allows me to sleep in.
Instead I have the great blessing of quiet solitude. I have always been my happiest in quiet times and can vividly remember being less than 8 sitting in a rocker staring out my second floor bedroom widow. The breeze was softly blowing through the screen and the sound of robins echoed in the trees. I believe, as I reflect upon that day, I was probably being punished for something but, it was beautiful to me. Quiet solitude......

Quiet solitude.....these are the moments when we get to peer inside ourselves and take a good look at who we are. We see the crust and scars and fear. We see the times when we could have done better, been better, worked harder, talked gentler, or stood up stronger. We also see the light, and glory. We see the times when we did do better, when we worked the best we could, when we held anothers hand, and when we said what was difficult to say because it is what our Father above would have wanted us to say......these are the moments when we search our soul to discern the truth. When we contmeplate the universe and what it is all about.
As the year begins and I reflect on the year that has just ended I try to judge where I was in the big picture. I had many short comings and didn't always do the right thing, but I did accomplish what I had resolved to do on January 1, 2010. I am happy to have learned something in the process. It wasn't what I thought I would learn and I realize that I must continue on the journey, but it was awesome to look back and see what I have accomplished. In my wildest dreams, just a few years back I would not have believed that I could have done what I did.

In the quiet of this morning I think about what I will resolve to do this year. It has been a difficult process. Each January 1st I have had a plan and blessed as I have been, I have stuck with that plan, and most often that plan has become a life chnging habit. Sort of like wearing seat belts before it was the law. Or taking sweet 'n low out of my diet. Or giving up coffee (that only lasted for one year.....) and then last year reading the bible cover to cover. In the quiet of this morning I sit in solitude trying to think of what is important for me to resolve to do this year. Dang I am stuck.....

Quiet solitude........I think I need to stop typing and sit in quiet solitude to hear the voice of God and then I will know my resolution......
Pin It Now!

3 comments:

Carola Bartz said...

I love the quiet solitude as well. It is the biggest gift a day can give me and doesn't happen too often. But when it does - oh bliss.

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side.
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain.
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change, He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
To guide the future, as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
His voice Who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
And all is darkened in the vale of tears,
Then shalt thou better know His love, His heart,
Who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay
From His own fullness all He takes away.

Be still, my soul: the hour is hastening on
When we shall be forever with the Lord.
When disappointment, grief and fear are gone,
Sorrow forgot, love’s purest joys restored.
Be still, my soul: when change and tears are past
All safe and bless├Ęd we shall meet at last.5

Shelia said...

Beautiufl writing!!!!!!