Summers Morning Symphony

The evening was sultry and uncomfortable to be outside. I remember long before air conditioning became commonplace what it felt like to try and sleep on nights that were still and heavy with humidity. I still do not have central air but the window units provide some relief and allow for a peaceful rest. The hum and vibration of those units disturb my early morning slumber and I awaken once more before my household begins to stir.

My early morning routine is completed before my husband bids me a good day. He slips into his car and drives away. I take my cup of coffee and open the door to the veranda where the cooler morning air greets me with an unexpected freshness. The air mass has changed and although warm it is less humid then the night preceding it. I nestle into my overstuffed wicker chair and grab a Coastal Living Magazine to be whisked off to a seashore adventure. My mind drifts with the pictures, and the smell of summer is real. It whispers for me. Then I am brought back in the moment of hearing and smelling and seeing all that is around me. A symphony has exploded and I realize it is in surround sound. Everywhere from every perspective my senses are awake. Robins, grackles ,sparrows, wrens, blue jays, cardinals all singing in harmony...broken with the tingle of katydid, and the soft whir of bumble bees, and the splashing of feathered wings in the bird bath. It is a perfect summer morning right here. I look at the windows of my neighbors homes still shut and clothed in heavy shades. Unaware of the magic happening right outside. I am so glad I didn't miss it! I spy a rainbow in my sprinkler mist, and the light breeze lifts my bangs so the sense of touch can be awakened too! It is all good. The chores of the day can wait for one more minute as I relish one more perfect summer morning in my life. The textures and nuances will be added to my other summer memories to be dreamed off on a day long away!
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

Patti J said...

Great post! Your photos are beautiful - perfect shot of the spider web. The AC is out in our car, and it's the compressor, so due to cost, it will probably be out for a long while! I just told DD how many sounds I'm suddenly aware of with all the windows down.... I'm an early riser also, and the sun porch is the place to be as the world is awakening around me! Hugs...

Cindi @ Moomette's Magnificents said...

Beautiful! Open the windows and turn off the AC to experience the world around it as it was meant to be.