RYAN



It was summer. I glanced up from the sink full of dishes, down past the emerald green lawn, through the gate of the straight picket fence, and into the magical area of woodlands, briars, and wetlands beyond. It was there that three boys sought after woodchucks and frogs. It was there that they fabricated spears and guns. It was there they drew each other close and shared secrets. Forts and club houses were built where eyes could not pierce their hiding spots. Those were the boyhood charms of being nine and ten and eleven.

Life continued and time ticked by as they became 30 and 31 and 32. Grown men of beauty and strength. Each on a different road but all still as perfect as when they were small. Blushed cheeks now bronzed, soft chins chiseled and straw hair receeding. Wonderful men doing what they dreamed to do, all those days long ago.

Until this week. This week a dream was dashed and scattered. The hopes for some are gone, the pain of being an adult finally reconned with. Two boys, with two memories, to hold the heart of one now departed into the recesses of a hidden secret place where no eyes will peer.

For me I have been here before, full of shock and disbelief. That all too familiar ache that is rare but still recognizable fills my chest. For them it is raw and they are oozing with grief. Reality has yet to take hold and shock cushions the blow, until the heart and mind catch up with one another.


Memories will ebb and flow as the body compensates for the assault. Time will mark the significance and tears will wash away the hurt. The fact is, life has changed forever, once again. That small tow haired boy with the impish smile and sparkling eyes now grown, will be forever in the hearts of those who love him still. He is imprinted upon souls and thus remains a part of each one he touched. Now it is time to sleep. Peaceful, comforting sleep.
Pin It Now!

5 comments:

Patti J said...

Donna, I'm not sure if this is a family member or a friend, but my heart breaks for you for your loss. I will keep you close in prayer and thought, as always, my friend. Hugs and sympathy to you and yours...

Butternutsage said...

THis is athe son of a wonderful faithful friend. His passing came too soon and filled those left behind with sorrow and shock. THnak you for your prayers I offer mine for them.

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Oh ... how sad. I am reading between the lines ... and wondering. But ... I will be compassionate and not ask the question! How sad for your friend and for the whole family. I know you will be a wonderful support ... and will know the exact thing to say. I will be praying for YOU as you help to comfort and care for them. Hugs xx

Barbara Dykhouse said...

Donna, I will pray for your friend and her family. I hope God will wrap his loving arms around them and give them peace.

Shelia said...

As someone said earlier, YOU do know all the right things to say, and you so well expressed the feelings of the friends left behind, Donna, my heart aches for all of Ryan's family and friends. This will be a long hard traveled road they have before them. My prayer is also for PEACE for them. Love and prayers to you Donna as you take care of your friend.