Happenstance

I could not remember a more perfect Memorial Day Weekend as this past one. I took time to feel the soft summery breezes wisk across my arms and chest as my hair fell in ripples along my shoulder. I reflected how soothing it was especially as I recalled past Memorial Days when my skin would bristle into goose bumps from a much chillier version of wafted air currents.

The first day of the three day weekend seemd to go on for eternity and we filled it with many different activities from gardening, to cleaning, to installing insulation, to seeing a movie and finally riding around in my old childhood neighborhood.

We drove down the street now  miniature in my mind. The large hill beginning at the entrance where many a adolescent bike race began, now seemed flat and the kick ball field of macadam wasn't much bigger than a suburban double driveway. The only ghost was that of a little boy standing at the end of the road forlorn waiting for someone to shoot baskets with him. We carefully turned into Mr. Costa's yard so we could turn around and I noticed that it looked like it had 40 years ago. His wife had passsd away some time ago and as we backed out of his driveway I could see the flashes of those years before me and then I wondered how he was doing now.

When I was younger strange things would happen and I would chalk it up to being a coincidence. As years go by however and I get older more and more things happen that I cannot chalk up to coincidence only because of the frequency in which they occur. I have dreamed of things that come true within days of me dreaming them. Such as the crash of the flight on the Hudson River in NY. I dreamed that exact incident the night before it happened with every detail of the stranded pasengers on the wings.

I awoke this morning and started my daily routine beginning a new week. After perusing my favorite blogs I opened the page to Farley's Funeral Home to check for the obituatries looking for those people who have crossed my path. Low and behold there was Manny Costa smiling like I always remembered him. As I read through the story I stopped on a dime to see he had passed on that first day of the long weekend, the same day I turned into his driveway.
Pin It Now!

4 comments:

Orea said...

The longer I live, the less I believe in meaningless coincidence. I believe God/the Universe is constantly trying to get our attention and engage with us. Which is probably why my guides keep saying, "Pay attention!"

Blessings,
Orea
http://orea-highervoice.blogspot.com/

Christopher Dos Santos said...

VERY NICE...

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Well ... What an amazing day! Sometimes it is hard to explain God's ways ... But we know that everything happens for a reason. It may just be for a small moment of memories to be thankful for your happy childhood! Hugs xxx

Andrea L - EnchantINK said...

Well ... What an amazing day! Sometimes it is hard to explain God's ways ... But we know that everything happens for a reason. It may just be for a small moment of memories to be thankful for your happy childhood! Hugs xxx